[lbo-talk] Appeal to Ignorance (Rushdie: Just give me that old-time atheism!)

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue May 31 09:07:34 PDT 2005

Yoshi wrote:
>...The burden of proof is on those who make an improbable claim,
>such as "God exists," "gods exist," or "I have a herbal remedy that
>makes your penis three inches longer and thicker." Those who fall
>for an improbable claim, merely because there is no evidence yet
>that the claim is untrue, are called "suckers." They are the ones
>who fuel the economy of spam. :->

Actually, I don't think any of these is an impropable claim (one counter to the preponderance of evidence). The first is a demonstrably false assertion (proof: the concept of "God" is logically incompatible with the concept of existence as used in every statement except for that specific assertion). The second is an empirically undemonstrable interpretation of real past and present human experiences but arguably a poetic truth. The third is straight-out bullshit.

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things...It consents and does not consent to be called Zeus."

Herakleitos of Ephesos