[lbo-talk] theism & ethics [was: Appeal to Ignorance]

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue May 31 12:36:09 PDT 2005

--- Jeffrey Fisher <jeff.jfisher at gmail.com> wrote:of course, kant also thought that while one ought to act out of respect for the rule rather than out of selfish motives, it is only right that people who DO act out of respect for the rule be rewarded for it, and so there must, after all, be a god to reward them.

---

Actually Kant thought that it meant the idea of such a god and an afterlife must be possible, and that people should act as if it were true, if I remember my Critique of Practical Reason correctly (it's been 8 years). Kant wouldn't use a phrase like "must be" to describe a being outside the realm of all possible experience -- it would contradict the whole of the First Critique (one of the most brilliant books ever).

Nu, zayats, pogodi!