[lbo-talk] Appeal to Ignorance (Rushdie: Just give me that old-time atheism!)

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue May 31 13:13:12 PDT 2005

Chris Doss wrote:

>The first is a demonstrably
>false assertion (proof: the concept of "God" is
>logically incompatible
>with the concept of existence as used in every
>statement except
>for that specific assertion).
>
>--
>
>The word "except" here means it's _not_ a demonstrably
>false assertion!

Humpty Dumpty logic! But even Humpty would find it impossible to discover a non-private-language meaning to the term "exists" that would make "God exists" anything but a false assertion.

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things...It consents and does not consent to be called Zeus."

Herakleitos of Ephesos