[lbo-talk] Re :theists vs atheists

W. Kiernan wkiernan at ij.net
Tue May 31 19:53:31 PDT 2005

frank scott wrote:

> theists "know" the unknowable, while atheists "know"

> the unknowable...

No. The universe is not an exercise in a math book. This insistence upon rigid logical proof is a mug's game, that I won't play. Atheists do not _know_ the unknowable. Will-he-nil-he, compelled by what Shelley calls "passion" (http://www.wam.umd.edu/~djb/shelley/necessity1880.html) we _believe_ the unknowable. In that I suppose we are pretty much like the theists - the sincere ones, anyway, you won't ever convince me that Pat Robertson, for example, believes the rubbish he exploits so profitably.

Yours WDK - WKiernan at ij.net