[lbo-talk] Re: Vive La France!

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Tue May 31 23:21:34 PDT 2005

On 5/31/05, Dennis Redmond <dredmond at efn.org> wrote:

> Why not? Isn't it better to have EU-wide control over the military, rather
> than allowing individual states to wage evil neocolonial wars?

If there was an EU military there may well have been EU troops in Iraq and that would be completely unacceptable to a lot of the European population.

And from an Irish perspective, we're a neutral country and don't want to cede control of the military to ANYONE.

> But over the long haul, why should voters in Luxembourg
> have more per capita voting clout than German voters?

It's nothing to do with "per capita", it's to do with national sovereignty. Luxembourg and Germany are different countries. Qualified Majority Voting diminishes national sovereignty, and does so at greater expense to the smaller states.