[lbo-talk] Re: theism, atheism and dont give a fuckism

J. Tyler jptyler at earthlink.net
Tue May 31 22:26:40 PDT 2005

Just do the linguistics.

Consider the proposition: God exists.

Anybody who accepts the proposition as true is a theist. Anybody who rejects the truth value of the proposition is an atheist (including those who "don't know," as that is a rejection of the proposition's truth).

Anybody who is not a theist (i.e., affirmatively accepts the truth of the proposition "God exists") is an atheist (hence the prefix). Within atheism, one can take a couple of different positions. Consider the proposition: God does not exist.

A "strong" or "positive" atheist accepts the proposition as true. A "weak" or "negative" atheist rejects the truth of the proposition.

Agnosticism and atheism address separate propositions, as the roots clearly indicate. Gnosticism/agnosticism addresses the propositions: knowledge of God's existence is possible vs. knowledge of God's existence is not possible.

One can therefore be any of the following combinations: (1) an agnostic atheist; (2) an agnostic theist; (3) a gnostic atheist; or (4) a gnostic theist. Most Christians, obviously, are (4). I happen to be (1), although I would still consider myself to be a "positive" atheist. I see no reason not to accept the proposition "God does not exist" as true, just as I accept the proposition "leprechauns do not exist" as true, even as I maintain that *knowledge* (i.e., absolute certainty) of either's nonexistence is not possible.

In short: I affirmatively believe that God does not exist (positive atheist), and I believe that I can't know this with certainty (agnostic). Just like I feel about leprechauns.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of frank scott Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 8:33 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] Re: theism, atheism and dont give a fuckism

>"Atheism" simply means "without a belief in God" [or
>theism]. It doesn't mean "asserts there is no God,"

sounds like agnosticism ...

simply not believing differs from what atheists i've interacted with claim...they are as certain that there is no god as theists are that there is a god...

are they the radical fringe of atheism?

and what the hell does being agnostic mean?

fs