[lbo-talk] Chavez vs Halloween

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Nov 1 07:54:53 PST 2005

Dennis Perrin wrote:

> Christ, are you people that fucking sad? What's the big deal about
> Halloween? I took my son out last night and he and I had a blast -- got
> to dress up in costume and play act in public. How does that keep the
> working class down?

I think Chavez deserves a bag full of rocks like Charlie Brown.

Why does Halloween keep the working class down? Because puritan leftists can't have fun with anything. Back in the day, our ancestors changed religious and Salvation Army hymns into classic IWW songs. These days, instead of culturejamming holidays and mainstream culture, we whine about everything. As Rebecca Solnit points out in her book "Hope in the Dark": "Another part of the Puritan legacy is the notion that no one should have joy or abundance until everyone does, a belief that's austere at one end in the deprivation it endorses, and fantastical in the other, since it awaits a universal utopia."

I'm looking forward to talking my 9-year-old niece--who dressed up as a good witch--out of her abundance of candy.

Chuck