[lbo-talk] Why are the US-ers such assholes?

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Tue Nov 1 09:21:12 PST 2005

Chuck0

Your analysis matches the level of political discourse in my own family. We simply don't talk about politics and religion, which is really funny because our family is a bunch of political junkies. My parents watch Fox News and listen to Limbaugh constantly . . .

You are on target about how these people don't want their bubble popped . . .

It's simply impossible to talk to these people . . .

Things HAVE gotten worse with the rise of Limbaugh, et al., and the advent of the internet. These developments have given the lily-white, flag-waving, assholes a rallying point, and much that was formerly only mentioned in private is now broadcast for all the world to hear and read. The assholes feel more emboldened with each passing day. Also, I think that the fact that U.S. participated in the horrendous wars of the 20th century, but escaped most of the horrors of those wars, has a lot to do with the belligerent attitude of homo americanus palefacium. War-mongering European nationalists have a great deal history to overcome when they press their case; Americans don't. The bad shit always happens five thousand miles away, at least since Appomattox. Finally, let's not forget the racial aspect to this, which I alluded to above. The bellicose assholes that Woj wonders about are almost exclusively white: It's highly unlikely that any of these online political scientists are black, Hispanic, or Asian. Many, if not most, white American men are scared shitless of everything, particularly those in precarious economic situations. They believe themselves to be unjustly assailed and beleaguered on all sides, so they adopt a façade of mock-ferocity to show the world how tough they are, that they won't take any shit from anyone. It's all pretty pathetic.