[lbo-talk] Chavez vs Halloween

Adam Souzis adamsz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 09:51:00 PST 2005

On 11/1/05, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> For my part, I sacrificed babies to Nyarlathotep, my
> Dark Lord. Then we had an orgy. It was awesome.
>
> Nu, zayats, pogodi!

figures -- halloween's a growing problem in russia too:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4394988.stm

Finally in Russia, two dailies report on the growing popularity of Halloween despite the authorities' efforts to discourage the celebration of the festival.

According to *Nezavisimaya Gazeta*, in 2003 the Moscow city administration even banned the festival from schools following complaints from parents who felt that Halloween was harmful to the spiritual and moral health of their children.

But *Novyye Izvestiya* reports that the sale of the traditional attributes of the festival - pumpkins and horror movies - is again on the rise in the capital.

"Already by noon on 31 October it was impossible to buy a single pumpkin at the Preobrazhenskiy market. Traders said these vegetables, which had been supplied in large numbers, were snapped up like hot cakes."

-- adam