[lbo-talk] Why are the US-ers such assholes?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Nov 1 09:52:12 PST 2005

This thread has piled up more arrant nonsense, and some of it from really sensible people, than I ever dreamed could be clustered in one small batch of e-mail posts could possibly contain.

The lies of the Bush administration pale into insignificance in comparison to these posts.

I suggest that each of the posters should be condemned to 10 years in solitary with four books which they must endlessly reread for 12 hours out of every day.

Our Mutual Friend Dombey and Son Bleak House The Charterhouse of Parma

And at the end of those 10 years they must either come up with a 10,000 page dissertation proving beyond any shadow of a doubt that the culture portrayed in those works is superior to the culture of Lansing, Michigan.

If they fail to persuade every single reader of their work, they will return to 10 more years of solitary confinement with the memoirs of Kaiser Wilhelm II and Parisian newspapers, 1855-1890.

Carrol