[lbo-talk] "Over Time, We'll Get it Right in Iraq": SPIEGEL Interviews Donald Rumsfeld

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 10:52:14 PST 2005

SPIEGEL: Since the time of the Cold War, US nuclear bombs have been stationed on German territory. What is their purpose today?

Rumsfeld: I think I'll leave that to the Germans and to NATO. Some countries in Europe made the decision to allow them to be on the continent. It was seen to be in their interest and is still seen that way today as it persists. So one would assume it continues being in their interest.

SPIEGEL: That's hardly an answer.

Rumsfeld: That was a very good answer.

SPIEGEL ONLINE - October 31, 2005, 12:27 PM

SPIEGEL Interview with US Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld http://leighmdotnet.blogspot.com/2005/11/over-time-well-get-it-right-in-iraq.html

"Over Time, We'll Get it Right in Iraq"

US Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 73, is a strong believer in the building of democracy in Iraq. He spoke with SPIEGEL about ongoing instability in the country, the rise of China and the responsibility of Europe in helping control Iran.

SPIEGEL: Mr. Secretary, you just came back from China where you voiced concern about the rapid build-up of the Chinese military. Is China a threat to the U.S?

Rumsfeld: I did not voice concern quite the way you suggested. I pointed out that there are an awful lot of experts who look at the official statements about the size of their investment in defense capabilities and believe that the actual numbers are two or three times larger. Any country in the world, obviously, can spend as much as they want for their defense and purchase the things they want to purchase. The thing that causes the question is the disparity between what people say they are doing relative to what they are actually doing. That was the point I was making.

SPIEGEL: Will China be the main rival to the United States in this or the next century?

Rumsfeld: I think it would be a mistake to assume that. I don't have any idea. I don't think anyone does. I doubt even the Chinese know. Since the days of Deng Xiaoping, China has made a conscious decision to open the economic system up in a manner that is sufficient to permit growth and opportunities for their people. They are engaging the world from an economic standpoint, which I think is a good thing. In order to do that successfully they are going to have to allow an awful lot of people to come in to their country. They are going to have to have many computers and there is going to be an awful lot more information flowing in and out of their country. More Chinese people will learn the truth, that the successful countries in the world are the ones with free political systems and free economic systems. That creates a tension in a political system that is not as free. To the extent the desire to have a more closed political system prevails, the economic system would suffer. To the extent the economic system succeeds, it will have a moderating and opening effect on the political side.

SPIEGEL: In other words, where there is a market economy a democracy will also evolve?

Leigh www.leighm.net

Have you seen my newsfeeds?: http://leighmdotnet.blogspot.com/ Got RSS?: http://www.furl.net/members/leighm/rss.xml