[lbo-talk] who supports/opposes war on Iraq?

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Tue Nov 1 15:37:47 PST 2005

----------------------------------- They usually go together - what some describe as components of an "authoritarian personality". ----------------------------------- WS:
------------------------------------ I think the Soviet Union had a fundamentally different social system and foreign policy - the two are not unrelated - than the Western imperialist powers, so I hesitate to describe it as an "empire". Although it had unpopular occupation forces in Eastern Europe and frequently weighted the terms of Comecon trade to its advantage, there does not seem to me to have been the same inherent impulse to economic expansion as in the capitalist societies. I think the motives were essentially military - to create a buffer zone against the Western powers after WW II. I see the relative lack of jingoism of the Soviet people as being an outgrowth of the non-imperialist nature of the USSR. You see it as being in contradiction to Russian "imperialism" - as an outgrowth of some "cognitive predisposition" to cooperation of the Russian people. -------------------------------------- WS:
--------------------------------------- I think people are contradictory beings with the potential for being both more and less cooperative at different times in their lives, and that what quality predominates will often depend on the context. So you get communities banding together in some circumstances - usually a crisis which demands cooperation - and dividing when the crisis abates. That's frequently the fate of revolutions, which tend to progress from an heroic self-sacrificing first generation to subsequent ones who take what has been won for granted, and pursue more individual interests. How do you determine, for example, whether the Russians and Chinese - who have within a lifetime produced and experienced cultures celebrating the "collective" and now the "individual" - are "cognitively disposed" to one or the other? I prefer explanations which trace these developments primarily with reference to the technological and economic pressures of the late-century world capitalist economy bearing down on these societies . ----------------------------------------- WS:
---------------------------------------- Before WWII, US society was less disposed than European ones to embrace right-wing ideologies like fascism. Over time, after the Second World War, the opposite case could be made, and you are making it. So what changed - the brain chemistry of the respective populations over the life of one or two generations; or the rise of the US as the pre-eminent imperialist power in the world, confronted by a nuclear-armed USSR and the Chinese and colonial revolutions, and the effect these challenges had on the militarization and related internal dynamics of US society?