[lbo-talk] The Empire's Freedom

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Nov 2 15:25:44 PST 2005

Dennis Redmond wrote:

> the US Empire in its mad, decadent phase
> is engaged in the coercion-industries.

I don't believe "decadent" is a useful phrase for capitalist social orders. "Mad" may be, but that is another question. Decadence is best ascribed to various regimes grounded in a tributary mode of production, in which one can see some sort of hereditary ruling class 'losing' whatever set of motives and mores enabled it to establish its rule. The principle of such cultures was stability, and stability must be maintained by 'force of will, which may weaken and decay. The principle of capitalism is endless growth -- it endlessly revolutionizes itself from 'inside.' Decadence has a nice ring but it doesn't help understand what is going on.

Carrol