[lbo-talk] When news divas collide, Round 2

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Nov 2 16:39:52 PST 2005

I hate Judith Miller as much as the next guy. But even I had to appreciate one of her lines last week.

Remember that famous column by Maureen Dowd which began

<quote>

I've always liked Judy Miller. I have often wondered what Waugh or Thackeray would have made of the Fourth Estate's Becky Sharp.

<end quote>

and then went on to utterly destroy her, ending by saying that if she ever returned to the Times, it would destroy the paper itself?

It turns out Miller responded by email, writing a 7 point rebuttal whose first line was:

"I like you too."

[From Ariel Levy's cover story on Maureen Dowd ("The Dangerous Charms of Maureen Dowd"), in the current New York Magazine:

http://newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/news/people/features/14946/index2.html

Michael