[lbo-talk] The Empire's Freedom

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Nov 3 07:07:01 PST 2005

Doug:
> Yes it does. I think the US ruling class has entered a decadent
> phase, characterized by an inability to think beyond the next
> quarter's profit report or the next election cycle. Seduced by tax
> cuts, it's allowed the Bush admin to ravage the national finances and
> threaten the pillars of empire. It may not be irreversible, but it's
> a problem, and I think it's a fine way to begin to think about what's
> going on now.

I fundamentally agree with the above, but I am not sure how that can explain a total meltdown of the Democratic Party. One would think that, given that level of elite decadence, Democrats would have it easy but they do not. After all the brouhaha about Bush popularity sinking, the Repugs still have no problems winning local elections http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/yahoo/bal-md.frederick02nov02,0,5401701.sto ry?coll=bal-newsaol-headlines

In short, having it all delivered on a silver plate might explain the complacency of the elite, but not necessarily of those whose very survival hinges on non-elite support.

Wojtek