[lbo-talk] The Empire's Freedom

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Nov 3 09:47:37 PST 2005

Nathan:

> So the focus away from economic issues is not just a result of corporate
> money but of a cultural ballast within the overall progressive movement as
> well.

Well said. However, that "cultural ballast" goes often unnoticed or even is deliberately swept under the rug in many progressive circles, including this one.

The day after the election Katha Pollitt, whose views and writing style I value quite a bit, wrote a piece in The Nation that called attention to that "cultural bias." But it went largely unnoticed. Evidently, lefties hate to part with their delusions about uniting the working class and even all the people in the world.

Wojtek