[lbo-talk] "The Chosen"

Bitch info at pulpculture.org
Thu Nov 3 13:24:07 PST 2005

At 08:50 AM 11/3/2005, Michael Hoover wrote:
>As the sociologist Jerome Karabel writes in "The Chosen" (Houghton
>Mifflin; $28), his remarkable history of the admissions process at
>Harvard, Yale, and Princeton, that meritocratic spirit soon led to a
>crisis.
><<<<<>>>>>
>
>for listers interested in *bottom* tier of higher ed, some years ago,
>karabel co-authored (with steven brint) _the diverted dream:
>community colleges and the promise of educational opportunity in
>america_... michael hoover

And, it's an _excellent_ book. I've written about it here a few times already. It details how ordinary people were increasingly demanding _liberal arts_ educations. But, this scared the bejaysuz out of the elite who didn't want the barbarians at _their_ gate. They dreams were diverted into a vocationally oriented community or junior college system, with the backing of the top tiers -- Stanford, Harvard, Yale, etc (I know for sure Stanford was one). Kabel and Brint document this with the letters that circulated among university presidents who, IIRC, coated it all in cotton candy to make it appear that they were doing the "right thing" by workers.

It's one piece of the "anti-intellectualism" in 'merika puzzle. People once actually wanted to learn Shakespeare, etc. But elites were afraid that, were they to learn about this sort of thing, they'd never be satisified with their lot in life, etc. etc.

Anyway, maybe I'll blog about the book if I can dig out my old notes/papers/etc.

Bitch

The Bitch | Lab

Bitchier. Raunchier. Wonkette with 'tude -- for the feminist left http://blog.pulpculture.org http://www.pulpculture.org