[lbo-talk] The Empire's Freedom

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Nov 3 16:06:42 PST 2005

JBrown72073 at cs.com wrote:

>Hmm, so basically feminism is just a boat anchor. Cut it loose and suddenly
>working class consciousness and unity will appear on the horizon. Except, uh,
>for women who are, as we know, an insignificant majority. Some opposition to
>abortion could be "cultural" but abortion itself is decidedly economic, as in
>production, who does it, when, and under what conditions.

A lot of the "cultural" issues are deeply material. It doesn't get much more basic than whom you can marry and/or fuck.

But on this question, men are more tolerant of abortion than women. Gallup has a detailed breakdown from 2003 on whether abortion is "morally acceptable" or "morally wrong." 49% of men said it's wrong, and 40% said it's acceptable; 56% of women said wrong, and 34% said acceptable. So it's 9 points against for men, and 22 for women.

A little table - % of Americans saying practice is "morally acceptable"

divorce 66% death penalty 64 animal testing 63 gambling 63 fur 60 unmarried hetsex 58 stem cell research 54 baby outside marriage 51 doctor-assisted suicide 45 homosex 44 abortion 37 cloning animals 29 suicide 14 cloning humans 8 polygmay 7 extramarital affairs 6