[lbo-talk] The Empire's Freedom

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Thu Nov 3 20:30:37 PST 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "Seth Ackerman" <sethackerman1 at verizon.net>

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Nathan Newman wrote:

>> If you gave me the choice of the political makeup of the Democrats in 1937

>> or 1965 or the politics of today's Democrats, but with the total numbers

>> from 1937 or 1965, I'd keep today's Dems in a heartbeat.

-Whenever I hear this argument, I always want to ask: What if you -compared Northern Dems from 1965 to today's Northern Dems?

A more interesting question-- although the Northern Dems back then were voting to put those reactionary Southerners in leadership positions -- but even those northern Dems were pretty weak on a range of issues. And let's be real-- on gay rights and womens rights, you have to look at Dems today as a massive advance.

Nathan