[lbo-talk] Re: Brando on DVD

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Nov 3 22:41:58 PST 2005

BklynMagus wrote:

>Dear List:
>
>A while back we spoke of Marlon Brando.
>
>Four of his films are coming out on dvd on Tuesday.
>
>Here is my handy homo-guide to the releases:
>
>THE FUGITIVE KIND (1959) -- Joanna's favorite (if I
>remember). Presented in 1:66 original aspect ratio,
>the acting is fine, as is Sideny Lumet's direction and
>Boris Kaufman's cinematography. It is the last
>Brando performance before he pivots even further
>toward strangeness, which will produce great results
>in the late '60's/early '70's, but some clunkers along
>the way.

Yes...I'll give this one another thumbs up, despite the fact that it's basic Tennesse Williams soap. But I cannot think of a single other actor who could look at Anna Magnani and say "Women say they can burn a man down; I can burn a woman down..." ...and get away with it. Joanne Woodward has a good part in it, as does Maureen Stapleton.

Joanna