[lbo-talk] Query, was Re: "Forgotten children of the French Republic"

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Fri Nov 4 09:11:13 PST 2005

Carrol wrote:

> I would like those who so enthusiastically attack the mass of u.s.
> citizens

No, just the 19% of the adult population who voted for the oiligarchy.

> to please explain what other than the military and economic
> power wielded by the U.S. ruling class separates the U.S. from France?

Oh, tiny little things like language, culture, the Gaullist developmental state, universal health care, complete integration into Eurocapital and the EU, highly functional public services and activist unions, and lots of indie Left organizations capable of doing things like shooting down the neoliberal EU constitution.

Conditions in the banlieus or suburbs are tough, but don't come even close to the inconceivable devastation of US cities by Reaganomics.

-- DRR