[lbo-talk] National Call-in Week to Save Vital Services

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Fri Nov 4 09:54:53 PST 2005

**PLEASE FORWARD to your networks and friends**

Starting Monday, November 7: the National Call-in Week to Save Vital Services

Call your U.S. Representative toll-free: 800-426-8073 Click here for pdf flier with this information: www.chn.org/pdf/ novembercallin.pdf.

The House of Representatives is expected to vote during the week of November 7 on proposals to slash assistance for some of the most vulnerable people in America – families lacking health insurance; abused and neglected children; single mothers trying to collect child support; working families relying on food stamps; people with severe disabilities; and others.

Why is the House making billions in cuts? To pay towards the cost of tax breaks for the wealthy.

It’s easy to call. Step 1: On Monday, November 7 or any day that week, call 1-800-426-8073 to be connected toll-free to the Capitol Switchboard. Ask to speak to your Representative. (If you don’t know who your Representative is, the people at the Capitol Switchboard can tell you, or you can visit www.congress.org where you can insert your home address and identify your member of the House.)

Step 2: After you are connected to your Representative’s office, say: “My name is _______________ and I live in (your town/city). I would like Representative [name] to vote NO on the reconciliation bill to cut $50 billion in vital services to vulnerable people, including Medicaid, SSI, foster care, Food Stamps, and child support. These cuts are the wrong priorities. Vote against cuts that hurt the poor and sick and vote against more unfair, unwise, and unaffordable tax breaks for the well-heeled.”

So far, the right wing has been unable to collect enough votes to pass such drastic cuts – because of people like you! They’re trying again, and they’re very serious about it. But we can strengthen the hand of House members who do not agree with these dangerous choices - if we and all our networks call! For more information, contact Deborah Weinstein at the Coalition on Human Needs (dweinstein at chn.org); 202-223-2532. Many thanks to American Friends Service Committee for donating the toll-free number. AFSC welcomes groups to circulate and use the toll-free number in support of the non-partisan budget goals towards which CHN always works and without linking the alert to a website soliciting donations or actions which may be used to support partisan lobbying or work.