[lbo-talk] Why are the US-ers such assholes?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Nov 5 06:21:41 PST 2005

[this was prepended to the entire contents of the digest, pushing its length from 2k to 27k - please don't do stuff like this]

From: "Celi Ben" <cpthron at hotmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Why are the US-ers such assholes? Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 03:08:14 +0000

Chuck0

My parents watch Fox News and listen to Limbaugh constantly.

My mother does as well: it's EXTREMELY strange. The first thing she does in the morning is turn on the radio to hear the local Limbaugh clone rail and blither. Then the syndicated shows come on, and in the afternoon the television is tuned to Fox to catch Hannity, Matthews, or whomever. ---------------- hey, what is your family saying about Argentina? I remember you saying that Fox and Limbaugh had given their followers a list of talking points for New Orleans, the first of which was this yard of schoolbuses which weren't used to evacuate the 100,000 left behind. I was hearing the Ray nagin-buses thing from my relatives who started listening to limbaugh after retirement. He hates O'Reilly and thinks he's a moron, but thinks Hannity is a nice man, and I think the key is the anecdote based nature of their programs. They voted for democrats and Nader until recently and I still can't identify their conservative issue - for instance, he thought that he was being non-PC by repeating Hannity's point that Roe Vs. wade only discussed first term abortions.

Anyway, what I'm hearing about the FTAA/Argentina meeting is this idea that the protesters are all outsiders who are being paid by wealthy communists. I can't imagine where there are wealthy communists to fund jobless people to do that, but I believe I have heard the same meme regarding U.S. protests. Does this originate from David Horowitz perhaps, and then was spread via Fox today?