[lbo-talk] For Woj

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sat Nov 5 07:54:10 PST 2005

> > ...So, if torture doesn't work, since a prisoner in
> > agony will say pretty much anything, then what is
> > the point of it? Revenge? Fun & sadism?...
>
> Come on, Dennis, you know the answer to that as well as I; the point of it
> is, what did that guy say, "pour encourager les autres," to scare _other_
> potential opponents into, if not cooperation, at least inaction. Why else
> would the CIA have revealed the existence of these so-called "secret"
> gulags at all?

> Yours WDK - WKiernan at ij.net

Of course. My question was somewhat rhetorical, though remember that many of my readers don't come to this material the way we do at LBO. So sometimes I state things in a more general way in an effort to guide people to topics they may not be familiar with. Then again, sometimes I get so pissed off that my rants might have the opposite effect. It's sorta like Good Cop/Bad Cop played by one person.

Dennis