[lbo-talk] Re: Brando on DVD

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Sat Nov 5 14:07:35 PST 2005

Message: 7 Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 22:41:58 -0800 From: joanna <123hop at comcast.net> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Brando on DVD To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Message-ID: <436B02B6.4090806 at comcast.net> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

BklynMagus wrote:

>Dear List:
>
>A while back we spoke of Marlon Brando.
>
>Four of his films are coming out on dvd on Tuesday.
>
>Here is my handy homo-guide to the releases:
>
>THE FUGITIVE KIND (1959) -- Joanna's favorite (if I
>remember). Presented in 1:66 original aspect ratio,
>the acting is fine, as is Sideny Lumet's direction and
>Boris Kaufman's cinematography. It is the last
>Brando performance before he pivots even further
>toward strangeness, which will produce great results
>in the late '60's/early '70's, but some clunkers along
>the way.

Yes...I'll give this one another thumbs up, despite the fact that it's basic Tennesse Williams soap. But I cannot think of a single other actor who could look at Anna Magnani and say "Women say they can burn a man down; I can burn a woman down..." ...and get away with it. Joanne Woodward has a good part in it, as does Maureen Stapleton.

Joanna

Yeah, "Fugitive Kind" gets nine out of ten stars from me. Mustn't forget Victor Jory. He is especially repugnant in it and wholly believable as the sort of people the fugitive kind would upset on those Freedom Rides to the South. The film was panned when it came out. Distribution was very poor as a result and down the memory hole it went. I'm so glad to see that it's on dvd!

Regards, Mike B)

Read "The Perthian Brickburner": http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal

__________________________________ Yahoo! FareChase: Search multiple travel sites in one click. http://farechase.yahoo.com