[lbo-talk] Why are the US-ers such assholes?

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 6 09:54:27 PST 2005

I actually emailed the Guardian's Emma Brockes regarding her October 31 interview with Chomsky, where she pulls out the tired old gag of accosting him because he's a"Beneficiary" of the system he hates. (I know some others that did the same.) There's a certain line of rightist criticism that basically says to be anti-capitalist you should live like a Jainist monk.

Once I went a few months without a car. I got around on bike. Even then someone told me, "You don't like capitalism? Well, capitalism gave you that bike." I thought of someone living in a hamlet in feudal times. "You don't like your cottage? Well, feudalism gave you that cottage." It did? Awesome -- I really should support feudalism, then, huh!?

-B.

Michael Pugliese wrote:

> Michael Moore has 2,000 shares in Halliburton
according to Schweizer.