[lbo-talk] Why are the US-ers such assholes?

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Mon Nov 7 01:45:52 PST 2005

Yeah, there's a definitely a line you can cross -- didn't Nader invest in the Magellan fund, or something, which had some shady connections? Someone who owns a ton of shares in Wackenhut but rails against "the police state" is definitely suspect. But for a lot of right wingers, that really doesn't matter it's icing on the cake of a dislike they'd have anyway. It's like hating MLK because he "cheated on his wife," which is the b.s. reason a lot of conservatives say they dislike him. Not because he was anti-racist -- no, no! It's because he cheated on his wife -- what a hypocrite!

Similarly, it seems like if folks of that ilk dislike Chomsky or someone like that, they say, "His books are carried in that uber-capitalist enterprise, Barnes & Noble," etc. What a hypocrite! But that has nothing to do with why they really hate him, really.

Also, there is a suspicion of success among the left, and that has sometimes-unfortunate counterparts in the punk community. When a band becomes too popular, folks start jumping ship. The band MUST have done something to sell out to get as popular as they did. There's a similar dynamic with Noam Chomsky. He's "too popular," which is a bizarre problem in the left. Better-knowing folks have "moved beyond" him. Someone gets too popular, fuck'em, they have sold out somehow. A ohase to go through before getting to the *real* stuff. Yes, there are things maybe Chomsky, et. al., could do better in their personal lives. Yes, he owns a vacation home and isn't vegetarian, which some folks dislike. Etc. But focusing on that sort of stuff is really weak, unless it's something glaring, like he invests 10% of his portfolio in Lockheed. There are always things everyone, including you and me, could probably be doing better.

Yeah, I agree with B, here. I don't put my retirement savings on the line in a "socially responsible fund" mostly because I the concept seems to me to be oxymoronish. The wages system is always socially irresponsible and all capitalism is based on that social relation. So, there's no way out, until the System totally trashed i.e. the wages system is abolished.

That, and the generally knife edged, politically progressive content of their music and lyrics is another reason why I let The Stones alone. I don't give a rat's ass about Mick being Knighted. I think he did it mostly for his pop anyway.

As for Chomsky and his reformism or his wealth, I don't give a damn. In general, the guy has his political head screwed on right, not up his ass like a lot of his colleagues. So, let the professor alone. Let the right-wing cretins and left-wing purists bray until the cows come home. Their contribution to global warming and history are miniscule.

Regards, Mike B)

Read "The Perthian Brickburner": http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal

__________________________________ Start your day with Yahoo! - Make it your home page! http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs