[lbo-talk] Rhizomatic?

Zachary Levenson zachary.levenson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 04:10:19 PST 2005

Is anyone familiar with this term? I encountered it in reading Hardt and Negri's 'Empire':

"The constitution of a global market organized along a disciplinary model is traversed by tensions that open mobility in every direction; it is a transversal mobility that is rhizomatic rather than arborescent" (253).

I believe it comes from Deleuze and Guattari's 'Anti-Oedipus,' but I am not clear as to what it entails, i.e., why they select rhizome as metaphor rather than any other omni-directional mobility. Any theory-heads on list? __________________ Zachary Levenson Radiation Effects Research Foundation Hiroshima Laboratory 5-2 Hijiyama Park, Minami-ku Hiroshima City, 732-0815 Japan

levenson at rerf.or.jp Zachary.Levenson at gmail.com http://rebenson.blogspot.com

"Latter-day capitalism. Like it or not, it's the society we live in. Even the standard of right and wrong has been subdivided, made sophisticated. Within good, there's fashionable good and unfashionable good, there's formal and then there's casual; there's hip, there's cool, there's trendy, there's snobbish. Mix 'n' match. Like pulling on a Missoni sweater over Trussardi slacks and Pollini shoes, you can now enjoy hybrid styles of morality. It's the way of the world--philosophy starting to look more and more like business administration." ~Haruki Murakami, Dance Dance Dance -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/enriched Size: 1410 bytes Desc: not available URL: <../attachments/20051107/07df4c5f/attachment.bin>