[lbo-talk] getting written up

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Nov 7 20:28:01 PST 2005

Kevin Robert Dean wrote:

>---- Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>

>> The bad results - slavery, exploitation of Third World labor, lower
>> wages here and exported jobs - are not due to the intrinsic impulse
>> to trade, but to the bad values of the traders, especially those of
>> American government leaders and corporations.
>>
>> "Corporate globalism: bad," he said. "Popular globalism: good."
>>

>I bet they intrepreted your argument wrong here--or at least I hope
>they did. I higly doubt you'd ever claim that it is simply because
>of some 'grumpy old billionares' not playing nice.

Nope, never said anything like that. I said there's nothing intrinsically wrong with trade (and no intrinsic virtue in self-reliance, which annoyed some of the parsimonious New Englanders). But I did say "corporate globalism: bad; popular globalism: good" (though I'm not sure what my mental punctuation was at the time).

Doug