[lbo-talk] getting written up

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Nov 7 23:15:35 PST 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> The bad results - slavery, exploitation of Third World labor, lower
> wages here and exported jobs - are not due to the intrinsic impulse to
> trade, but to the bad values of the traders, especially those of
> American government leaders and corporations.
>
> "Corporate globalism: bad," he said. "Popular globalism: good."
>
> He argued that the challenge is not to fight globalism, but to purify it
> - with egalitarian values.

It's too bad that you've embraced the globalization defenders' recontextualiation of what globalization is about. They have attempted to switch globalism with globalization, an economic process of neoliberalism and imperialism. The defenders want to recast globalization in terms of being like fluffy bunnies and cute dogs. How can anybody be against the Internet or people phoning people on other continents?

Even though free trade agreements are on the ropes, I see plenty of reason to be against globalization. I just don't confuse globalism for globalization.

Chuck