[lbo-talk] James Boyle: Webs never-to-be-repeated revolution

ravi listmail at kreise.org
Tue Nov 8 19:40:25 PST 2005

Nathan Newman wrote:
> [...]

I gave a fairly detailed response to James Boyle's text, in which I included the point that the Internet grew partly due to govt support... I intentionally did not mention ARPA (IIRC) exactly to avoid such diversions as your response. I do not see anything in your response (I do not have the time to follow the link you provided) that counters my criticism. I continue to believe my criticism is effective and that Boyle does indeed miss a lot.

Your point about the "myth being propogated" (by those who want to deny the role of govt in the Internet) does not counter my text (and by extension that of others who make similar points to mine). It is one of the very points I make! (re: the libertarianism of some segments of the early Internet crowd. See further my ref to FSF/GNU and implicitly Richard Stallman, and a different vision). Note also that the Internet is not just the creation of an IP network at the behest of ARPA/NSF et al.

--ravi

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.362 / Virus Database: 267.12.8/162 - Release Date: 11/5/05