[lbo-talk] James Boyle: Webs never-to-be-repeated revolution

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Wed Nov 9 03:49:05 PST 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "ravi" <listmail at kreise.org>

ravi wrote:
> I gave a fairly detailed response to James Boyle's text, in which
> I included the point that the Internet grew partly due to govt
> support... I intentionally did not mention ARPA (IIRC) exactly to
> avoid such diversions as your response.

>"Diversion" is a poorly chosen and hostile word, above. I take
>it back. I guess I got irritated by my perception of being
>talked past.

Ravi- I was reacting only to the specific problem of Internet history, where the myth persists that the Internet was some kind of accident, rather than multi-decade government project whose results were almost exactly as intended.

I wrote my Ph.D. and followup book largely on refuting this myth, so it's a strong reaction point for me.

Nathan