[lbo-talk] Fwd: lbo-talk Digest, Vol 23, Issue 77

N P Childs npchilds at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 9 07:32:15 PST 2005

>Actually, I don't think they were trying to pass this off as a "new
>insight". I think they were just reporting within the framework of
>their (mostly unconscious) ideological biases. Also, are you
>suggesting the firms won't ramp up production if the government
>agrees to subsidize their R and D and buy up the additional supply
>at a price that guarantees them a good profit, regardless of how
>much demand is created by a flu pandemic?
Firms will respond to those incentives, but it's a not a normal market, partially because you have a monopoly supplier with the Tamiflu license, and the good in question here is public health, being served by an immunization program. Whether it's an acute crisis like a potential pandemic, or ongoing standard preventative immunization programs like MMR and annual flu shots, market rules don't work.

You're more charitable than I towards the WSJ, I think someone sat them down and explained how some core elements of health econ work and how health is a gold standard example of market failure, and it was news to them. So maybe that is an unconscious bias.

PC

N Paul Childs 5967-157 Avenue Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5Y 2P3

e-fax 413-683-9725 _______________________________________________________ 'Gee thanks, your validation means oh, so much to me'.

-Art 'Bones' MacDesalavo