[lbo-talk] two views of the French riots

JC Helary jch.helary at free.fr
Wed Nov 9 08:04:20 PST 2005

Bernard Henry Levy wrote:

> profanation of a church or a synagogue). But to go from that to
> lumping the police together with the rioters, to go from that to
> saying that the French police today are so profoundly contaminated
> by Le Pen's ideals that three young inhabitants of Clichy-sous-Bois
> would rather risk electrocuting themselves than fall into their
> clutches, that is a step that I, for my part, am not prepared to take.

Maybe he is not, but the kids are. And the kids are also the ones who suffer daily from this racist police. As for the "risk of electrocuting themselves" I am sure it did not even occur to them.

> these past few days, a foretaste of it, and, for a secular country,
> it would be an avowal of ultimate failure: transferring the task of
> maintaining order and preaching peace to the authorities of the
> mosques.

Another bourgeois uberfear... The authorities of the mosks have no authority there. And he said that himself in the first part (as well as Roy): there is _nothing_ religious in what is going on today, and nothing organized. It is just plain anarchy in slums made slums by the Paris bourgeoisie.

Charts about the riots at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_civil_unrest_in_France

JC Helary