[lbo-talk] Voters reject Schwarzenegger reforms

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Nov 9 08:10:56 PST 2005

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051109/pl_nm/election_usa_california_dc

It looks more like a Pyrrhic victory to me. Surely, it is a no-confidence vote for the Republican party, but some of defeated measures seemed to have merits, especially those aiming to curb gerrymandering (which turns the US electoral process into a joke) and to regulate prescription drugs. Also, the anti-union and anti-abortion measures almost passed - whereas the anti-gerrymandering and prescription measures were soundly defeated.

So while it is good thing that Repugs got hosed, I see little reason for optimism - conservative outlook still prevails, people got merely pissed off with Bush's monumental blunders. I do not see the pendulum moving the other way - if fact it still moves to the right despite Bush's colossal blunders, which gives one little hope for the future.

Wojtek