[lbo-talk] Sayonara, J. Miller

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 9 14:17:50 PST 2005

November 9, 2005

Times and Reporter Reach Agreement on Her Departure

By KATHARINE Q. SEELYE

The New York Times and Judith Miller, a veteran reporter for the paper, reached an agreement today that ends her 28-year career at the newspaper and caps more than two weeks of negotiations.

Ms. Miller went to jail this summer rather than reveal a confidential source in the C.I.A. leak case. But her release from jail 85 days later after she agreed to testify before a grand jury and persistent questions about her actions roiled long-simmering concerns about her in the newsroom and led to her departure.

In a memo sent The Times staff at 3:30 p.m. today, Bill Keller, the executive editor, wrote, "In her 28 years at The Times, Judy participated in some great prize winning journalism."

In a statement, Arthur Sulzberger Jr., publisher of The Times, said: "We are grateful to Judy for her significant personal sacrifice to defend an important journalistic principle," adding, "I respect her decision to retire from The Times and wish her well."

Ms. Miller could not be reached for comment. ...

<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/09/business/09cnd-miller.html?hp&ex=1131598800&en=aa22f7f4baa8dc94&ei=5094&partner=homepage>

Carl