[lbo-talk] let's not see who's torturing people, let's see who leaked the story!

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 10 18:31:29 PST 2005

My gf told me about this, that Bush was basically upset the story was leaked, not that torture was happening. I don't know -- both Dubya's and the Terminator's popularity levels are in the mid 30s, eh? And now they want to ram through further cuts to food stamps and similar social programs. Unbelievable. An NYT article today said folks are starting to prefer "the center" and are souring of rightist Repubs. But our center is Europe's right wing. Where I am -- Dallas -- it's hard to be optimistic that this souring is anything more than temporary. People are tired of Bush, but in 2006, when faced with a Dem Pres. candidate, they'll go back to the GOP. If they're smart, they'll choose McCain. Ostensibly "centrist" and "independently minded" but in reality, from what I recall, sides with Bush about 80% of the time.

The recent torture amendment aside.

-B.

Doug Henwood wrote:

> House panel to probe Post story on CIA prisons
> By David Morgan
> 25 minutes ago
>
> WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The House of Representatives
intelligence committee, which is examining a series of national security leaks, will investigate a Washington Post story on a secret CIA global prison system, officials said on Thursday.