[lbo-talk] Silly liberals! This isn't France!

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Fri Nov 11 13:41:02 PST 2005

Travis Fast

This definition of liberalism is so odd. Do you get tought about classical liberalism and reform liberalism in American schools and universities? No one in the Anglo world uses liberalism in the way that Americans do..what's up?

Travis ------------------------------------------------ Oh man. How much time do you have? The short answer is: No, Americans are not taught about classical liberalism or reform liberalism or any other kind of historical liberalism, at least outside of grad school. "Liberalism" in American public discourse is a meaningless term of abuse employed by the reactionary right to describe in one word everything they hate. This DeBrecht character's summation is actually pretty accurate, so far as it goes. Don't try to make sense of it - you can't. The obsession with FDR that these lunatics display is simply beyond understanding. I had an Ivy-educated neo-con crank tell me the other day that FDR and the New Deal caused more suffering than other any other person or ideology of the 20th Century. I shit you not.