[lbo-talk] Jerry Lewis as worst-case scenario

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Nov 11 19:11:12 PST 2005

Alexander Nekvasil wrote:

>We live our memories. Sometimes (less often than we like to believe)
>we can recuperate our memories _as_memories_, while most of the time
>we just live them unthinkingly, or, as Bergson would say, we play
>them, or as the psychoanalysts would say, we act them out: the family
>romance, the Oedipal drama, our favorite TV show, ... the Roman
>republic, the Russian revolution ...

So true and so hard to get across. Most people, especially as formed by western/captitalist culture believe that freedom is the freedom to act out. If you tell them that the "freedom of acting out" is a most conditioned condition, they will get very angry with you. Part of the problem is that it's very hard to explain that there is a third way, beside one: repression and two: acting out. What makes it hard is that the third way is an ego-less way, which looms like a black hole before the western "individual" mind.

Even harder to get across is that "free thought" is a contradiction in terms.... that thought is by definition reactive and therefore, unfree.

I wish you the best of luck,

Joanna