[lbo-talk] Re: Rhizomatic (now Frontiers and Empire?)

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 12 10:04:15 PST 2005

Zachary wrote:

> I entertain the notion that the collapse of the
Frontier, and its
> consequent internalization into people's inner
lives, is the recurring
> theme in David Lynch's work.

Hmmm, yes, I can see that. In his work, the promise that capitalism, especially US capitalism, has always held up clashes (more and more) with reality. This is especially apparent in Mulholland Drive, where the dream world seems to initially offer respite from reality but eventually even that gets invaded. Death is the only sanctuary from it all.

H&N argue that there is no longer an OUTSIDE but Lynch provides us with one...death. Not the type of exodus, using H&N's vocabulary, that I am prepared to take! :)

-Thomas

__________________________________ Start your day with Yahoo! - Make it your home page! http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs