[lbo-talk] Re: Rhizomatic

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Nov 12 10:44:41 PST 2005

Alexander Nekvasil wrote:

>I entertain the notion that the collapse of the Frontier, and its
>consequent internalization into people's inner lives, is the recurring
>theme in David Lynch's work. (Curiously, as I just realize, he is
>currently completing a film with the title "Inland Empire" ... it
>turns out to be the name of a slipshod trailer park, of course.)

That "open sky" closed about a hundred and fifty years ago. It opened again, iconically after WWII, but there were "communists under the bed," and when that ended there was the failure of empire -- the new icon of the mighty U.S. fighting Grenada or slightly bigger foes with broken legs -- Iraq.

Lynch's work is twenty years old, looked promising to being with, but he was never able to get on the other side of his own symbols. I think, generally, Hollywood is simply too narcisistic to be of much use. The "great" directors of the last generation are either one-trick ponies, Tarantino or completely derivative, Spielberg. I had high hopes for Ang Lee, but he didn't pan out.

Joanna