[lbo-talk] Re: Rhizomatic (now Frontiers and Empire?)

Franz Fuchs f.fuchs at gmx.net
Sat Nov 12 11:03:49 PST 2005

>From Doug Henwood:

> Didn't Lynch support Reagan?

I don't know if Lynch voted for him but - as said on a couple of occasions - he feels sympathy for Reagan. (I almost couldn't believe it when I first heard it.)

See, for example, the LAWeekly's well-done profile:

http://www.laweekly.com/ink/01/48/cover-powers.php

--- While Lynch doesn't seem like the sort of man who's packing heat, he was drawn to Ronald Reagan because of his "cowboy image" and laments that L.A.'s wonderland of individual freedom is being hedged in by rules and regulations. He takes building-code restrictions personally. "People," he says, "should be able to build what they want to build, when they want to build it, how they want to build it."

Although he claims to know nothing of politics, in last year's election he backed the Natural Law Party, whose philosophy is that an ideal government mirrors the natural order. While this may sound slightly wacko, the party's platform is perfectly sensible -- libertarianism with a human face. As part of the campaign, Lynch produced a campaign video for the party's presidential candidate, John Hagelin, an acclaimed quantum physicist. This tape is an extremely strange document (you can see it at http://archive.hagelin.org/soundbytes/davidlynch.htm), for Lynch has no great knack for doing normal. He interviews the candidate in front of creepy golden curtains and punctuates the questions with ominous pulsing music. The superbrainy Hagelin winds up seeming like an off-kilter, B-movie version of a real politician -- the presidential hopeful from Twin Peaks. ---

Best regards Franz Fuchs