[lbo-talk] WaPo: Milbank & Pincus Unleashed

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 12:06:45 PST 2005

On Saturday, November 12, 2005 11:45 AM [PDT], Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Leigh Meyers quoted:
>
>> Asterisks Dot White House's Iraq Argument
>>
>> By Dana Milbank and Walter Pincus
>> Washington Post Staff Writers
>> Saturday, November 12, 2005; A01
>>

>> President Bush and his national security adviser have answered
>> critics of the Iraq war in recent days with a two-pronged argument:
>> that Congress saw the same intelligence the administration did
>> before the war, and that independent commissions have determined
>> that the administration did not misrepresent the intelligence.
>>
>> Neither assertion is wholly accurate.
>
> This is fun. It looks like the bourgeoisie is turning up the heat on
> W.
>
> Doug

Walter Pincus was publishing info about the lack of WMDs even as Judith Miller continued to be PR flack for the Pentagon. It looks like the editorial board is sensing blood flowing at the NY Times and giving Pincus Milbank and Priest a little more leash.

The money quote:

President Bill Clinton ordered four days of bombing of Iraqi weapons facilities in 1998, under the 1991 resolution authorizing military force in response to Iraq's invasion of Kuwait.

Describing that event in an interview with CBS News yesterday, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said: 'We went to war in 1998 because of concerns about his weapons of mass destruction.'"

would be either calling her a liar, a moron, or just plain out of touch with the real world, a secretary of state that isn't even aware of recent American history.

Leigh