[lbo-talk] Kansas - Eisenhower

Paul paul_ at igc.org
Sun Nov 13 04:12:27 PST 2005

Thanks to Michael Pollak for his reply. I pushed a digression to make a point about Milton Eisenhower's complicity with interning the Japanese-Americans, I hope Michael doesn't mind if I push another digression to illustrate a different point: the frequent phoniness of these idyllic family stories, especially among political leaders.

As Michael says the public myth is of how Ike and his family were a well integrated typical example of small town Kansas, football and all that. Recent research really shows they were probably often seen as outsiders and religious kooks.

Both his parents came late to the, by then, well established small town of Abilene. Ike's mom came there from Virginia to go to the college of a Mennonite sect. His dad moved from Pennsylvania. At a time when religion was such a defining factor in small time life they converted to Jehovah's Witnesses. Ike's mom was so fervent she became the preacher for the local little sect that met weekly in the family home.

At the time the Watchtower movement was even further outside the mainstream than today - and by a lot (upon his death the founder's doctrines were replaced by a new set written by the next leader). The end of the world had a firm deadline: 1914 (the year Eisenhower went to West Point) and the followers were fervently preparing for the imminent Armageddon. There were complicated predictions and religious truths that had been worked out from the dimensions and "secret tunnels" of the Giza pyramid in Egypt and a giant ten foot by six foot illustration of the pyramid and its secret truths was plastered in the family living room.

In that more conformist era, this was not Ozie and Harriet. As Ike's political prospects rose he, his brothers, and handlers, intervened directly with biographers and journalists to hide the offbeat background. The qualified pacifism of his parents' religion must have been an additional awkwardness during the '40s and '50s. Only recent research has made this dimension more public. (See for example "Why Eisenhower hid his Jehovah Witness Background by Prof. Bergman http://www.premier1.net/~raines/eisenhower.html )

Paul