[lbo-talk] Abortion, not a women's issue. How about femicide?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Nov 13 19:10:24 PST 2005

peacenow at theofficenet.com wrote:

>Doug said that abortion wasn't a women's issue, meaning that it is everyone's
>issue? So this must be true of rape, sex slavery, battering, etc.
>Unfortuantely, addressing these latter issues do not seem to be on the radar
>screen of most men, activist or not.

I knew someone was going to take it that way. I meant it purely in polling/electoral terms. I think the right to free abortion with no questions asked is fundamental to the liberation and equality of women. In that sense it's profoundly a women's issue.

George Gilder, incidentally, understood this very well. I don't have the quotes at hand, but he's very explicit on how the right to abortion puts women in control of the reproductive process, which undermines the authority of men.

Doug