[lbo-talk] Help Infoshop News support independent journalists

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Nov 13 22:40:51 PST 2005

Independent media isn't possible without dedicated DIY journalists doing reporting the old-fashioned way. People still have to get out where things are happening in order to fully explain the what, why, when, who, and how of events. Infoshop News, like a growing number of alternative media projects, is committed to supporting this new movement of independent reporters, journalists, writers, and bloggers.

Infoshop News is currently supporting several reporting projects, either directly or indirectly. For the past two months, a member of our collective, Jamie "Bork" Loughner, has been involved in hurricane relief projects along the Gulf Coast. In addition to her activism and community organizing, Bork will be reporting in future months on her activities and the nitty gritty of what is really going on in New Orleans. Thanks to over $7000 in donations, readers and supporters of Infoshop News made her work possible. In addition to helping set up the Common Ground medical clinic, Bork helped organize the tenants of two apartment complexes to successfully resist recent eviction efforts by their landlords.

We are gearing up to support two new projects. Independent journalist Priya Reddy has traveled to Paris, France, where she plans to report directly on the explosive situation that has dominated international news for the past two weeks. She has agreed to report for Infoshop News, provided that we can help raise several hundred dollars for her expenses. So far we have raised $150 this weekend. Donation information is listed below, but we are also looking for people based in Paris who can help her with lodging, food and logistics.

Kari Lydersen is an independent journalist who writes for Infoshp News, as well as LiP magazine, Clamor, New Standard News, In These Times, and the Washington Post. She is considering a trip to New Orleans and the Gulf Coast to do some investigative reporting. Infoshop News would like to help fund her trip and are asking our readers to help out.

Lastly, we invite people to support the work of Brian Conley, a videographer and journalist with the Boston Independent Media Center, who is currently in Iraq covering the situation there for his blog "Alive in Baghdad". <http://aliveinbaghdad.org/aib/index.php> Information about supporting Brian can be found on his website.

You can help Infoshop News support Priya Reddy and Kari Lydersen using the following methods:

PayPal or check: http://www.infoshop.org/donate.html Credit Card: http://www.infoshopdirect.com/infoshop/

Please note which project you are donating to on your donation.

Thank you for your support!

Chuck Munson Infoshop News http://news.infoshop.org