[lbo-talk] Abortion, not a women's issue. How about femicide?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Nov 14 00:03:11 PST 2005

> The greatest advance in "sexual liberation" will come when we all
> recognize that military subscription is both a man's and woman's
> issue and that the right to abortion is not just a woman's
> issue....etc. Until we learn to speak in this new way, we will
> forever be splitting the working class into more and more
> ineffectual splinters.
>
> Joanna

Realistically, though, a large number of men won't stand up for women's right to abortion unless women do, just as straights won't stand up for GLBT people's rights unless GLBT people do, the able- bodied won't stand up for the disabled's rights unless the disabled do, whites won't stand up for Blacks' rights unless Blacks do, etc., at least not in substantial enough numbers to shift politics.

When a group of people fight for their self-emancipation, others can get moved to work in solidarity with them -- if they don't fight for their self-emancipation, few others will get interested in abolishing the causes of their oppression (they may not even take note of the oppression's existence).

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>