[lbo-talk] The War on the Car

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 09:13:12 PST 2005

On Monday, November 14, 2005 7:17 AM [PDT], James Heartfield <Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Doug writes
> [the WSJ editpage is normally a nutty place, but this one stands out
> even by its standards]
>
> I can't agree. The article seemed very sensible to me, it was the
> students who were nutty.

<...> Consider this, almost every single thing that you will buy from your local store or supermarket was delivered by van or lorry. The agricultural output that sustains the US and Europe is premised upon the motorisation of agriculture. And overwhelmingly, labour travels to work by car. <...>

That's right, and just in case ANYONE needs a 411, it has to stop.

...And it's up to the "brains of the outfit" to figure out how, and I don't mean our government's elected officials with their vested interests.

Any suggestions?

I have one.

Work worth doing, near where you live, that pays enough to live near where you work, doesn't defile the surrounding area (industrially or socio-culturally), and is a suitable type of work for the people within the community.

If we can't do that in the near to mid future, the odds of doing anything about "class" is just lip service, and there will be no long term for industrialized society because we will have environmentally poisoned ourselves and the only workers on the planet will be ants & roaches.

[Say it... It's not gonna happen in *MY* lifetime, why should *I* care].

Leigh www.leighm.net

Have you seen my newsfeeds?: http://leighmdotnet.blogspot.com/ Got RSS?: http://www.furl.net/members/leighm/rss.xml