[lbo-talk] Re: Why are we still turning to Dylan for the soundtrack to our demonstrations?

Seth Kulick skulick at linc.cis.upenn.edu
Mon Nov 14 20:28:26 PST 2005

> Message: 8
> Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 17:00:02 -0800 (PST)
> From: Mike Ballard <swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au>
> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Why are we still turning to Dylan for the
> soundtrack to our demonstrations?
[...]

> He lost the plot--at least as far as I was concerned-- after his near fatal
> motocycle accident. Trauma can do that.
>
> http://www.classicbands.com/dylan.html
>
> I still love "Bringing it all back home" and "Highway 61", "When the ship comes
> in", "Hollis Brown" and, of course "Mr. Jones", who he increasingly became,
> more or less, after '66.

after 66? In 1967 he came up with I Shall be Released and the rest of the Basement Tapes, and the entire John Wesley Harding album. Yes, I would agree that he will never equal the productivity of 1961-1967, but that's a very high standard to expect anybody to live up to. His work ever since then has been inconsistent, and he's often made some bizarre choices as to what to release, but he has written many great songs over the years since, as well as recording some great versions of traditional songs. And no Mr. Jones writes songs like Blind Willie McTell or Dignity.

"Eisenhower was president, Senator Joe was king Long as you didn't say nothing you could say anything"