[lbo-talk] Re: History of Violence

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Tue Nov 15 08:32:03 PST 2005

From: BklynMagus <magcomm at ix.netcom.com>

> We will
get the endless reams of praise straights shower on themselves when they tackle queer issues, though those involved will always be sure to point out their heterosexual bonafides.

Sometimes I do this, other times I don't. Finding the line between the homophobic insistence on one's own heterosexuality and the opportunism of allowing people to think you're one of them is difficult. Practical guidance on this point is quite welcome. My practice was to note my heterosexuality to predominantly gay and lesbian audiences and remaining silent on it to more general audiences, though I sometimes varied from this, depending on the situation.